It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Everywhere I goooooo…

As a result, I have suggestions and ideas! I am planning to buy more, yet less, this holiday season. More local food, art, produce, and music; less mass-produced crap! Are you IN?

Here are a few options:

– Buy a tree for someone, even if it’s only 2 feet tall. Trees are good for all of us. I for one like maples and birches. Hint. Hint.
– How about a gift certificate to a local FARM? Call a farm and ask what they have to offer. Farms near you sell goat milk soap and lotion, honey, eggs, meat, wine, brick oven pizza, yoga classes, produce, jelly and jam, herbs, seeds, and yarn.
– Pick up a gift certificate to a NON-chain restaurant. (Jack of Hearts in Weaverville, North Carolina, for example…)
– Buy local theatre tickets for your folks or your best friend
– Donate to a charity. There are so many families who don’t have resources:
-adopt a local family and give them a Christmas
-send a care package to a veteran overseas, or donate to their family here
-invite someone who lives away from home to share the holidays with your family
-adopt a nursing home or work with a local support group to give seniors gifts, or give a little of your time to listen to stories of the past
-give $5.00 to an animal shelter, a women’s shelter, a Veteran’s group, a school, a museum, an art program, the Nature Conservancy, or a library, in honor of someone you love
-give $5.00 to fight a disease; ALS or cancer or diabetes, heart disease or mental illness
-donate coats and hats and gloves, or soap, or tea, to a homeless shelter

Put your gift money where it will do the most good and celebrate the real meaning of Christmas!

Tell your “story of Christmas love” in a comment on this blog when you buy or give locally and you will be entered into a drawing for a prize! The winner’s name will be drawn on Christmas day.

Love to you all,
Mary

, , ,

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”

1. mentalfarmer Says:

Okay, I wrote this on my I-pad… It’s evident the formatting doesn’t work with WordPress. I will work on that!

2. artsouth Says:

Now these were all very excellent Christmas ideas I can use! Thanks for the tips, and I’m letting you know here that I’m re-posting this on FB and e-mailing links to my fam! 🙂

3. Jennifer Richardson Says:

A giant resounding YES to every smackerel!!!
    I gladly second that emotion!
    Thanks for the share
    (and can’t wait to visit your Jack of Hearts!)
    -Jennifer

4. Lollipop Yarn Says:

Yes, I’m in! (Though I’ve already bought some mass-produced crap.)
    Enjoy your blog. I’ve nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award.

5. Bonnie Says:

We donated clothing and food to a homeless shelter; Hesed House, Aurora, IL. and canned goods to the Food Pantry of Kendall County, IL.
    My family is starting a new tradition this Christmas. We have a very large family and are very fortunate to all be together on Christmas day. We are bringing canned goods and dry food to our Christmas gathering that will be donated to the local Food Pantry.

6. Bonnie Gramley Cooper Says:

We have donated clothing and food to a homeless shelter; Hesed House, Aurora, IL. and canned goods to the Food Pantry of Kendall County, IL.